Monday, 8 February 2016

Couscous with Roasted Vegetables

Couscous with Roasted Vegetables

Couscous is a great alternative for rice and pasta and the possibilities are endless. What I love about it is that it's fast to prepare and works well with anything! It's also the perfect thing to take for lunch, when I'm feeling a bit tired but still have lunch to prepare I just pick this. I usually just add last nights curry or some kind of soup (mostly lentil soup, so yum!) alongside some chopped raw vegetables. 

Sure, that's quick and easy but I was looking for something new to try that's also quick and easy. I roasted some red pepper and courgette and made an onion based couscous, and the end result? It was so good! I was actually surprised, because normally when I make something new I somehow get it wrong and have to try it again. But this time, it was just the way I wanted!

Most of my family don't eat the couscous I make, so when I made this I only made two lots so I could have some the next day. But no, it just wan't meant to be, it must have looked good because everyone tried it and there was none left for me! 

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS
1 courgette
1 pointed red pepper
3 tbs olive oil
1 small onion, finely sliced
Half tsp cumin
50g couscous
150g boiling water
2 tbs lemon juice
Small bunch of coriander
1 spring onion

DIRECTIONS
1) Preheat the oven to gas mark 7
2) Chop the courgette and pepper roughly into 1 cm cubes
3) Add the courgette, pepper and 2 tbs of the oil into a bowl and toss until covered
4) Transfer the vegetables evenly onto a tray and bake in the oven for 30 minutes
5) Add the rest of the oil and onion into a nonstick pan on medium heat
6) Cook the onions until soft
7) Add the cumin and couscous to the onions and give a stir
8) Add the water and cook for 5 minutes on low heat or till the water is absorbed
9) When the couscous is cooked, leave to stand for 5 minutes then fluff with a fork
10) Add the vegetables, lemon juice, chopped coriander and spring onion, stir and serve

SHARE:

15 comments

  1. Yum, this looks incredible! I haven't had couscous in years but this really makes me want to start eating it again.

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually never tried couscous, but always wanted to. This looks so yummy! I shall try this out :) x

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't try it until a few years ago!

      Delete
  3. I had no idea what couscous was before this, except for vague memories of the world from cooking shows long gone in my brain. Thank you for sharing, Neeny!

    May | THE MAYDEN | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I kept hearing about it a few years ago and decided to try it out, before that I didn't either!

      Delete
  4. This looks so yummy! I love couscous : ) seems like a pretty simple recipe, too!

    -amber
    http://wheretheresdesign.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, it is really simple but tasty!

      Delete
  5. I haven't tried couscous in a few years now and didn't much like it back then, however tastes change and as you've shown - recipes change too! I'll be sure to give it another go sometime soon :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally give it another chance :)

      Delete
  6. This looks so tasty, I love cous cous. It's such an easy thing to make & take to lunch at work!

    Arianna x

    http://ariannachatz.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking so yummy <3
    Kiss,
    Irish

    http://www.beausian.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! ♥ Leave your links!
Please do not promote posts/giveaways or ask follow for follow as it will be marked as spam.

© Spoon Full Of Yum | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig